Well. Okay. ALMOST no fear. And by almost I mean I was able to keep it to squeal level as opposed to “Holy shit what have I gotten myself into I’m about about to piss my pants” fear. I was able to get up to 38.5 mph going downhill while only squealing a little bit. And sort of giggling because that kind of scary is fun. 🙂
I’m referring to the bike course for the sprint tri I’m doing in August. Holy ballsack, Batman. Have I said before that the first time I rode it I thought I was going to die? That I quite loudly let out an “Oooohhhhh fuuuuccckkkkk!!!!” on my way down the first and second big hills? And that I’m glad I DIDN’T ride it before I signed up?
The first time I rode it, it was full of bumps and potholes that I was sure were going to send me over the front of my bike and onto my head. I was seriously scared. I also realized that I don’t have the legs for that kind of climbing! I rode a loop again on Wednesday and found that they had repaved the craziest parts of the course. Whoot! I was so excited!
So yesterday, for the first time, I did both loops. I put John on the bike rack and drove him to the start of the course. I’m sure he was excited because this was the first time I’ve driven him somewhere to ride. Now, as much as I hate the GIANT (hey, size is relative) hill that I always end up walking half of, I hate the start of the course even more. We’ll come out of the parking areas, turn left, slight downhill to the stop sign and turn right into an uphill. Sighface. But anyway… I did pretty good for it being the 1st time doing the full course. How I’m supposed to run after this, I’ve yet to figure out, but whatever. I figure I’m just going to have to ride it A LOT over the next few weeks. My goal is to not walk up that damn hill. You can see in the picture below, I get some awesome speed, but it’s just not enough. I’ll get it. I have been advised to make that hill my bitch. Will do. I can’t wait until the day I don’t have to dismount in front of those damn cows and that freakin’ donkey!
Goals by August 14th:
1) Don’t walk that stupid ass hill.
2) If I’m still cussing myself out at mile 1.58, keep it in my head. Don’t let anyone else hear it. Yesterday, it was loud on the 2nd loop.
3) Stick my tongue out at the livestock when I’m NOT walking up that damn hill!
4) Learn. To. Climb.
Oh and three more things….
1) I’ve just started learning how to shift gears properly. Sure makes a difference, huh? Heh, ya learn something new everyday.
2) I really, really wish the cows and donkey would yell and cheer me on instead of looking at me like “Oh, hey. It’s you again. Still not dead? Go ahead, get off your bike. You know it’s gonna kick your ass. Why do you keep trying? Poor, crazy girl.”
3) Why in the hell would you honk at someone you don’t know on a bike? Some jackass teenager-looking female did that and even knowing the car was there, the loud “HONK” when she was right next to me scared the crap out of me.
Where I just was... THAT portion has been bitched.
Make some noise, dammit!
The "walk" portion of the bike course
BTW, it took me an hour.